This intensive six day workshop provides the foundation for: Building GIS databases and performing analysis in ArcGIS.
Participants shall learn how to create GIS databases and manage their data in a GIS databases. In addition, they will learn the general guidelines of performing all types of analysis. The course will offer an understanding of the types of analysis that can be performed in ArcGIS desktop environment, the kinds of questions that each type answers and the tools used to perform each type. The course will be delivered through presentations, practical exercises and lesson reviews. Esri ArcGIS desktop application will be used in this course.
The programme is designed to help you use GIS to solve spatial related problems and challenges, from disaster analysis, development and policy planning.
After successfully completing this course, you will have acquired an understanding of Esri’s geodatabase format and performing spatial analysis in ArcGIS Desktop platform. These new skills include:
- Building GIS databases
- Managing spatial and non-spatial datasets in a geodatabase
- An in-depth understanding of ArcGIS analysis workflow and its application in answering specific analysis questions
- Building geoprocessing models to automate the analysis process
- Sharing geoprocessing results
- Humanitarian Practitioners and Policy-Makers
- WASH Managers/ M&E / Information Managers/ Disaster Managers, Security Experts, Logisticians)
- GIS Officers,
- Database Officers
Prerequisites and recommendations:
This course is for those who have interacted with geographic information systems (GIS) and ESRI’s ArcGIS Software before and wish to improve on their knowledge in GIS Analysis skills in their area of specialization.
- An introduction to Geodatabases
- An introduction to spatial analysis
- Proximity analysis
- Overlay analysis and Spatial Patterns
- Analyzing Spatial Patterns
- Analyzing Temporal Patterns
The following software licenses or applications are used in this course:
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.2 (Advanced)
Each student will receive:
- Course manuals and training data
- ArcGIS 10.2.2 evaluation license
Sam Nthunie is a GIS Consultant with over 12 years of practical experience in GIS, Remote Sensing, GPS and Cartography mostly in the humanitarian sector. He holds a Master’s of Science in Geomatics from Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in Germany and is also a continuing Doctor of Philosophy (Geospatial Engineering), University of Helsinki. He is a training specialist with vast experience in training Esri technology and open source GIS.
The course fee is USD 950which caters for Tuition, Course Materials, Meals and Refreshment during the training sessions and Visit to Kenya Wildlife’s-National Park.
Group discount applies depending on the number of participants.
Note: We have good accommodation that we recommend to our guests ranging from USD 60 onwards.
NB: In-House training for this course can be arranged (Both in English and French) and we are open to conducting the course in the clients’ premises/ country.
Due to the practical nature of the course, we have limited spaces available and they will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis.